My name is Andrew Karn and I am a freshman at IUPUI studying informatics. I graduated in 2007 and this is my first time back to school after a 5 year break. Not much of a blogger so looks like we may be in for a little adventure. Originally I was planning to go somewhere into the culinary field , but never actually attended a university. I did however spend the past 6+ years working in 2 of the best restaurants in Indiana. After my years in the kitchen I ultimately decided that it just wasn’t what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. So back to school I go! Now that I’m 24 and married it seems a little awkard and out of the “norm”, but technology has always been one of my top interests and I can’t wait to get elbow deep in informatics. Also after viewing the WordPress website, I’m starting to feel like this could start to become more than just an assignment.
As for what is the assignment tho:
I believe if I had to prioritize my life, being a husband comes first. My wife and I recently married on the 11th of November 2011.
Even more recently I have also become a full time student, but I am really excited to drop that from my list over the course of the next six years
and add being a parent and a professional to my list.
Looking a little closer at my background above it is probably not surprising at all to hear that a few of my favorite activities include:
Eating delicious food
Playing with brand new technology
All of theses activities are made multitudes better when I get to experience them with some my favorite people. First being of course my lovely wife Alex but also my brother Nick and Swiss friend Dominik. Also dozens of other people. =]
On my first day of class I was introduced to a very interesting individual named Grayson.
Check out his blog also if you have a chance!
As an informatics major you may wonder what are my top 3 favorite websites.
1. The Philip DeFranco Show on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/sxephil
2. Sourcefed (subsite to the DeFranco show). http://www.youtube.com/user/SourceFed
3. CNET. http://www.cnet.com/
On this road to a degree in informatics I hope to one day be able to save others from very upsetting computer mistakes that I have made myself and which ended in tragedy.
My biggest example of this would have to be when I spent seven weeks of my 2006 summer living abroad in Brest,France. Over those seven weeks I without a doubt took hundreds and hundreds of photos.
Unfortunately, back in 2006 having a digital camera with a SD card over 1GB was a luxury and something I just could not afford.
Of course I did find a way to compensate for this, or so I thought, by removing the photos from my SD card when it was full and saving them to the HardDrive on my laptop.
This was working great up until the my last two or three days in the country. At this point I decided to try to re-organize them on the computer and have them all inside one folder.
Now, I’m not exactly sure what happend next, in attempt to move this one massive folder to another location, (and maybe deleting it after I thought it had been copied to a new location)
I received a prompt tell me that the file was too big and once deleted it would NOT go to the recycle bin. Not thinking, apparently at all, I just hit yes immediately. Poof!
No more pictures! Now, I understand that it is possible to retrieve deleted files from a HD, but this was not something I was capable of performing myself (to my knowledge) and it was much too expensive of a service
to have a company such as BestBuy do for me.
Life goes on and we learn from our mistakes. Now maybe I can save somebody from theirs.
- What is Informatics? Informatics is a field designed to study technologies that do not yet exist.
- What do you hope to gain from this class? From this class I hope to develop a great understanding of basic computer usage, social media, and programming.
- What has the bigger influence; society or technology? Why? I believe that Technology has the bigger influence. Just a few people usually end up developing the technology and when it is released into society it tends to have an influence on people. Most don’t know they want certain technologies until after it is available.
- What will be your future role with technology? Hopefully, my future role in technology will be to help develop new technologies before people realize that they want or need them.